Sunday, December 13, 2009

Flanders Pork & Apples


Here is another delicious recipe. We got pork center loin from SAM's the other day for $1.48 a lb. This was the first recipe I made with this meat. I had some apples in the fridge and decided this was the dish to make.


Flanders Pork & Apples

From the cookbook: Casserole Treasury by Lousene Rousseau Brunner

2 lbs. pork shoulder or loin sliced 1/2" thick

12 small white onions ( I chopped up some Spanish onion that I had)

2 TBS. flour

!/2 C. white wine ( I used o.j. and a dash of Southern Comfort)

1/2 c. chicken broth or condensed consomme ( I used chicken broth)

Salt & Pepper to taste

1 tsp. dried oregano and rosemary mixed or 1 Tbs. fresh, chopped

(I had fresh rosemary and dried oregano)

1 tsp. minced parsley (I used dried)

1 lb. tart cooking apples, peeled and sliced





1. Trim fat off the pork slices and try out in a heavy skillet. Skim out the brown particles, and saute in the fat, the pork and onions. Remove to a medium casserole.



2. If there is much fat left in the skillet pour it out and measure back 2 TBS. Stir in the flour and slowly add the wine and broth, stirring until the sauce is smooth and thick.




3. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper, add the herbs, and pour over the casserole. Cover tightly and bake 2 hours in a slow oven, 300 degrees. (If your casserole lid does not fit tightly cover the casserole first with heavy brown paper and then put on the lid.)

4. When the casserole has baked 1 1/2 hours stir in the apples, cover, again, and finish baking. Serves 6.

**********

I did this in the crockpot. Putting the sliced apples in first, then the meat, then the sauce. Cooked it on low for about 6-8 hours.







This seems like it would be a great dish for you up north with your frigid temps and white stuff on the ground. You can stay indoors smelling something delicious making for dinner.





Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds so good. Im going to try it!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

That sounds really good. Cold and rainy here, I'm thinking of making vegetable beef soup.

Nell Jean said...

I have a pork roast in the freezer that demands cooking in this manner, perhaps tomorrow!

gld said...

I love crock pot recipes....no watching involved that leaves me free to read or whatever I want to do.

I will be trying this one, probably minus the alcohol. I do have some wine I could add.

We are having a brief warm up before diving into the freezer again in a couple of days.

Miss Gracie's House said...

Yummy! Enjoyed seeing all of your christmas pretties too...esp. the angel made by your MIL..Merry Christmas...
Rene'

Anonymous said...

That looks like something I would make! Rosemary is so good with pork isn't it?

Jane

PS Having trouble e-mailing you. It won't send it out! Just wanted to let you know I received yours.

L. D. said...

Wow, that is a good looking recipe. I have never seen pork cooked with apples. It sounds delicious.

shandora said...

the north of France should do well too for this recipe, that's I'm going to try out, thank you so much!