Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thank you and recipes

Thank you all for your lovely comments on our anniversary yesterday. I enjoyed the meal preparation, and we both enjoyed the results last night.

Someone asked if we were going to eat outside, or by candlelight, and I have to say no we didn't do either. Right now it's too hot and miserable to eat outside. Our romantic setting was, eating in our two chairs in the living room that are separated by a glass topped coffee table, where our glasses sit, along with condiments or whatever we might nibble on. I did set a pale pink table cloth on the kitchen table with a sheer brown lacy overlay and DH told me it looked pretty. (He gave me the sheer piece years ago and I only bring it out for special occasions because it is so fragile). I took pictures of our dinner on the table. :-)

Every thing was delicious, starting with the margaritas, made with Monte Alban Mescal, key lime juice and triple sec. For tidbits we had Kashi 7 grain crackers spread with cream cheese that I had added black pepper, and powdered onion and garlic to, topped with anchovies. We haven't had either the drink or tidbits in awhile so it was a real treat!!

The lamb was delicious and I will be making it again. The recipe for that dish and the Key lime pie will follow. For the carrots, I picked fresh tarragon from my garden. It is one of my favorite herbs, great with chicken, fish, and vegetables.

******

Pecan-Crusted Lamb Chops

Recipe can be found here

Pecan-crusted lamb chops with pecans, parsley, rosemary, garlic, bread crumbs, and Dijon or brown mustard.
Ingredients:

* 4 to 6 lamb chops, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
* 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
(pecans from Becca)
* 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
* 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
(rosemary picked fresh from our gardens)
* 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/4 cup bread crumbs, fine, dry, plain or seasoned
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
* 2 to 3 tablespoons Bold 'n Spicy Brown Mustard or a Dijon mustard

Preparation:
Trim excess fat from the lamb chops.
In a food processor or chopper,
combine pecans, parsley, rosemary, garlic,
bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
Process until very finely chopped. Transfer to a plate.



Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a baking pan or roasting pan
which will hold the chops in one layer.
Set oven to 350° and place pan in oven to preheat.

Rub each chop with mustard then place on pecan mixture, turning to coat all sides.
Place in preheated pan in oven and roast
for about 20 minutes for medium to medium-rare,
turning once about halfway through.
Serves 2 to 3.



Cream Cheese Key Lime Pie

Found the recipe online here


Serves 8

This simple recipe makes a 9-inch pie and requires no baking.

Ingredients:

9-inch graham cracker pie crust
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons of Key Lime juice
8-ounce package of softened cream cheese

Preparation:

Combine milk, juice, and cream cheese in a mixer for 5 to 6 minutes.
Pour mixture into graham cracker piecrust.
Refrigerate until firm.




*************

Nothing would be more tiresome

than eating and drinking

if God had not made them a pleasure

as well as a necessity.

Voltaire

******************

This morning I went out to clean up some prunings and weeding debris from the other day, plus mowed, and DH trimmed the front hedgerow with electric clippers, while on a ladder. I held the ladder. Now it looks all nice out there and the speed limit sign shows up. It was starting to disappear and I didn't want the county to come along and do a hack job on the hedge by the sign as they have done in the past.

When we were out there we were sweating buckets, it was 87, but with the humidity it felt like 97. We had a longish nap after lunch, both dragged out from our efforts. I know I say this almost on a daily basis, but we are so ready for cooler weather. We have had some nice rain over the past few days and that's been great.

Happy Gardening and remember ~


Plants give us oxygen for the lungs

and for the soul.

Linda Solegato


****************


Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL

8 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

I did stop by yesterday to wish you a happy anniversary .. but my laptop couldn't keep a connection ... your dinner sounded wonderful .. here's hoping you get some cooler weather soon.

tina said...

Oh gosh those lamb chops look so good. It has been literally years (like 10) since I've eaten lamb but I do love it.

Noelle Johnson said...

Congratulations on your anniversary :-)

I do understand your yearning for cooler weather. We were blessed with our first cool (cool for us) day in quite a while. I am itching to get out into the garden :-)

I do hope cooler weather is on its way to your garden.

L. D. said...

Oh, more pictures of pie please. Happy anniversary.

gld said...

Interesting how the foods we have readily available here in the lower midwest are quite different from your area.

I never see lamb except maybe around Easter. Rarely are there limes. I have never eaten either.

I wonder if you could do the same with lemons?

Floridagirl said...

That lace piece is truly lovely! I see why you ate elsewhere. I'd be terrified to eat on that. That pie looks delicious and sounds super-easy. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kit said...

Happy Anniversary Flowerlady! May you and your love have many many more years together. Love you, Kit

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the play-by-play, complete with RECIPES! (I will keep that key-lime recipe to pull out for one of our Small Group gatherings on Sunday evenings...this week I'm planning a frozen pumpkin dessert.)

Not to "rub it in", but we have been enjoying some of the most lovely (and cool) weather we could ask for! Hubby and I had hoped for good weather to go on a house-walk in a historic neighborhood today, but forecast is for rain.

Fortunately the tickets are good for tomorrow afternoon, and the reports indicate perfect weather then. It will just make for a full day for us. Thankful for the rain though!

Wishing a peaceful weekend for you and yours....