Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kiwi Ginger Sauce


I can't remember if I shared this recipe with you all before or not, and am having trouble going back in my blog to check old posts from March and further back.

I just fixed this delicious recipe again, as we picked up 3 kiwi at the vegetable market on Monday when we did our errands.

I found the recipe here, but will also post it now with a picture. I served it over Tilapia fillets and Jasmine rice. I used sesame seed oil to saute the fillets, and added a little sesame oil also to the rice while cooking, and gently cooked yellow crookneck squash in a little of the oil too for a side dish. I love the nutty flavor of that oil. We bought it from a Oriental grocery store, where it is a lot cheaper than buying it in little bottles from the regular grocer.

******

Kiwifruit Ginger Sauce for Whitefish

1/2 cup each vertically sliced onion, julienne carrot and green pepper

1 tablespoon each julienne fresh ginger root and vegetable oil (sesame seed oil)

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup each packed brown sugar and vinegar (I used seasoned rice vinegar since I had some)

3 kiwifruit, pared and sliced

4 (6 oz.) whitefish steaks or fillets, steamed or poached

Saute onion, carrot, green pepper and ginger in oil. Mix cornstarch and water; add brown sugar and vinegar. Pour over vegetable mixture and cook until thickened. Quickly stir in kiwifruit. Pour over prepared fish just before serving.

Makes 2 1/2 cups sauce.

********

I plan to serve this over sauted chicken breasts next, to use up the rest of the sauce. It is delicious, tart and exotic.




***

"Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy.

And cooking done with care is an act of love."

Craig Claiborne, Kitchen Primer

***


Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL

6 comments:

Mama Mess said...

That really looks delicious!

L. D. said...

It sounds like a very good recipe. The kiwi surprises me but I bet it works well.

gld said...

I don't do fish, but I think it would be very tasty on the chicken breast. I need to do something different now and then!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

That sounds delicious. I'd probably do it over chicken too. Or maybe ham.

tina said...

I think kiwi is so good and very healthy that is why your dish looks so darned good!

Sandra said...

My goodness that sounds delicious. I LOVE Kiwi too, my kids not so much but I could eat those all day long :)

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
Sandra