Saturday, October 1, 2011

1 Oct ~ at Plum Cottage

Good morning Everyone ~ It is so hard to believe it is October already, but we are oh so glad it is. Now we are looking forward to cooler weather with a lot less humidity. We are seeing and feeling a difference, the sun is at a different angle, the temps aren’t as high as they were and we can work outside for longer periods of time.

Some of you are already having really chilly temps, you are enjoying changing colors, dressing for autumn outings, smelling the smoke of fires, winding down from hectic summers. I hope you all are able to put your gardens to sleep before winter gets here. Then you have the joy of planning next year’s gardens, ordering seeds, and patiently waiting for spring.

Down here in s.e. FL, we are able to garden just about 365 days a year, whether we want to or not, because our gardens do not go to sleep. They are like the pink bunny that just keeps on going, in this case growing. I’ve got LOTS to do, and hope to tackle some more in the gardens this week. I’ve worked the last 3 days so didn’t really do anything outside, and work again today.

When I went out with camera in hand, it was a bit cooler out this morning, which is such a joy, instead of walking out into a sauna.

Here is the first picture. I named our little place ‘Plum Cottage’ years ago after we painted the cottage and out buildings a plum color. We chose this color, because we wanted it to sort of blend into the pine trees. We took a piece of pine bark, a couple of photos of weathered wood to the paint place and they mixed up the color for us. We need to repaint and hopefully can do that this winter season. We need to pressure wash it first, and we already have a 5 gal. bucket of paint. This paint changes in hue as the day progresses and all colors of flowers look great with it.

10-01-plum-cottage

Morning clouds.

10-01-morning-clouds

Morning sun hitting the pine tree.

10-01-morning-sun-on-pine

10-01-morning-sun-on-pine2

The tin roof is on the ‘gypsy shed’, and DH painted the flashing to match. I hope to be able to paint the wood on this shed the plum color this week, we’ll see. The strange looking piece of wood you see in the foreground is a section of a Melaleuca tree that came down during one of the hurricanes. It makes a lovely sculpture. The white lattice behind the bench will come down shortly.

10-01-gypsy-shed

Kathleen (again)

10-01-kathleen

Have a wonderful weekend

blog-beige-sig

******

When you arise in the morning,

think of what a precious privilege it is

to be alive

to breathe,

to think,

to enjoy,

to love.

Marcus Aurelius

13 comments:

GRACE PETERSON said...

I love your plum color and that first photo is so welcoming! I'm glad the temps are becoming more gardener-friendly. Hopefully you'll have lots of time to putter in the next little while.

organicgardendreams said...

FlowerLady, very lovely atmospheric photos from your place (my favorites are the ones with the pine tree today)! I like the color that you have chosen for you house and the out buildings a lot. I am glad that it is cooling off at your place, too. Wishing you a lot of fun gardening in the next couple of days!
Christina

Sunray Gardens said...

I like your outbuildings and the color looks wonderful. I love that big piece of wood. Very neat.

Cher Sunray Gardens

Kit said...

Looking good! Love that plum color. Fits perfectly! Hugs, Kit

Georgianna said...

I love the plum color – it's perfect! And so interesting how you came to create it. The thought that you put into it is very inspiring, Flower Lady.

Wishing you a lovely Sunday and thank you for your kind comments.

– g

Anonymous said...

Plum is a lovely color...the word itself is just as lovely! I am looking at everyone's roses this morning and sorry that mine are done. But I do like the rest the Autumn and Winter give this gardener's bones!

F Cameron said...

Love the photos of your cottage and sky. I think your summer temperatures will cooler than our (100 degrees) and your winters are warmer. If my family lived down that way, I'd be so tempted to move!

Take care!
Freda

gld said...

I love your Plum Cottage. I think you chose the perfect color.

Glad you are getting some cooler, less humid weather. We are light jacket weather in the mornings now.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for letting me visit.
I love the name...

NanaK said...

Kathleen (again) is so sweet looking. Your photos of the morning light are beautiful. I love the temperature, less humidity, and changing light of this season. Enjoy it all FlowerLady!

Vetsy said...

Flower lady your plum cottage is the cutest. I love the little birds on the arbor..and I am happy to learn that you can enjoy your garden with-out burning up in the heat.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Hi dear,

This is lovely. The color is wonderful!

Thanks so much for telling me how to dress for Florida. I pulled out my linens and cotton (now wearing wool and corduroy in Maine) and was appropriately clad. YIKES it was HOT in Orlando.

Loved the Landscape Show. Fabulous people there and great garden products and ideas.

Joys,

Sharon

Skeeter said...

Yes, the coolness makes it fun to play in the garden again! I hate the humidity and am a happy camper now that it is gone...

I love how you named Plum Cottage! The new coat of paint will bring her back to life, even though I think it looks great as is....