Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Warm weather and learning a new needlecraft

It is low 70’s, very comfortable weather down here.  Tonight it is supposed to get down to low 50’s, which will be nice.

I mowed yesterday morning, and repotted two gardenia shrubs that I got as little rooted cuttings from Tom at 7th Street Cottage last year. They needed to be in larger pots with some good potting soil.  They are sitting in the caravan garden area.

I’ve got to take some cuttings of roses to pot up and hope they will root.  I’ve got seeds to plant too.  It is really wonderful to work in the gardens these days. I’m waiting for my Mexican Sunflowers to bloom.  I see them in bloom all over the neighborhood, maybe mine are just late bloomers.  They are about 10’ tall, and I grew them from cuttings this year.

Last week I saw a bit of needlework that really captured me.  It was of a tree, which you can see here. I found out from Suz the creator of these trees that they were tatted, not with a shuttle, but with tatting needles, which I had never heard of.  I watched a little you tube video and became inspired to learn this art.  I found the needles on line at Walmart, and ordered them.  No shipping charge, since I will just pick them up from our store here after they’ve received them.

Learning new things is good for us, no matter how old or young we are.

Happy Learning.

FlowerLady

8 comments:

Ami said...

The weather has been really nice, hasn't it? I am looking forward to my year end vacation, so that I can have more time to enjoy the weather and working in the garden. Looking forward to seeing some new art you create with your new needles.

gld said...

I want to take some cuttings of roses for a friend...but I may have waited too late here. I have taken them in the fall before but we have had a freeze or three.

I agree, learning something new is good for all of us. Be sure to show us the results of the tatting project. I have some pillowcases with tatted trim that my paternal grandmother did.

Karen said...

Oh, the 70's with lows in the 50's. It makes me feel cozy knowing my dear friend is having some nice weather. The snow is sifting through the trees as I write this, but this is nice weather for us, too. Not too bad, around 30.

I love the tatting trees! When I got married, Carl's grandmother tatted all the lace for my veil. She was in her 80's and made the tatting in variegated pinks, which was a little unheard of for a wedding, but I did not want to offend her and wore it proudly. I still have the veil and several yards of leftovers and some gorgeous blue tatting of hers also.

I never knew tatting could be made into art forms and those trees are gorgeous. I look forward to seeing your artwork, too!

NanaK said...

Enjoy learning your new needlecraft. Tatting seems so intricate and something you would like and be excellent at doing.

Glad your weather has been nice. Here it has been too.

Have a great week!

Deb said...

I hope you post your finished trees, I think I will try these someday, I have tatting shuttles around here and I believe I have tatting needles too.

do you use rooting hormone on your cuttings? I have never had any luck with it.

Darla said...

We have had freezing temps the last two mornings here. My car looked like a block of ice yesterday....it is nice to learn new things isn't it? Love free shipping too!!! Oh, oh, oh, the mom of millions plant thingy is in the greenhouse and I declare it's about to bloom!!

Commonweeder said...

I am enjoying this mild weather. I still have time to do all those undone fall chores. But it won't keep on forever. I know a little bit about tatting, but I didn't realize you could still get the equipment. Good information.

Sissy said...

Hello! I hope all is well with you. I miss your positive and encouraging
posts!