Saturday, May 19, 2012

Roofing material for paths

Good morning Folks,

Hope you all have a great weekend. I’m working today, but will have off from work again until next Thursday so I’ll have time to putter around here inside and out then.

In my last post I mentioned using roll roofing for paths and have had a couple of people interested in doing that.  We had had some ‘found curbside’ roll roofing and shingles and we thought they would make good path material. I was tired of weed-wacking the paths.

I had to look up ‘when’ we did this project and found the pictures in the beginning of 2007,  which makes the project 5 years old already. My how time flies.

01_26_path1

01_26_path2

01_26_maingard

03_17_westpath

The photo below shows where the path in photo above leads too.  There was a portion of fencing behind the chair that opened as a gate. 

03_17_westpath2

Above then, below now.

04-26-main-garden-back2

The next two pictures are from 2008 showing the two smaller paths using shingles.

06-26-backpath

06-26-smallpath

We probably won’t be buying rolls of the bitumen roofing just yet, as we’ve just done gutter work and some other stuff that came up. I did call up a local roofing place though, ABC Supply Co. (they have locations all over, so you might want to check your area), and they are $6 cheaper than HD for a roll.

So, there you have it about using something for paths that you might not have thought of yourselves.

Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

***

"Enjoy the little things,

for one day you may look back and realize

they were the big things."

Robert Brault

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How unique!

Sunray Gardens said...

Looks good. I've used it in one area I have, probably should have a lot more areas. :)
Cher Sunray Gardens

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

It looks good. I used shingles once leftover from our little garage reroof. I mulched over them. They really kept the weeds out of the path. We've redone the area so they're not there now. Never thought about the rolled roof stuff.

NanaK said...

You always have such creative ideas. The paths look great and add a nice element to your garden.

HolleyGarden said...

Thanks for the idea! I would have never, ever thought of this! Looks nice. I've been wanting to put in a pathway, and just may give this a try! Thanks!