Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th

Good afternoon Folks ~ I hope those here in the US are enjoying this day.  It is hot and humid, with a nice breeze down here in s.e. FL.  We’ve had a few sprinkles too. I was going to putter indoors today, but it was cooler out this morning than it has been, and since my cold is just about totally gone, I did some tree trimming and then mowed.  I also got a load of laundry washed and hung out on the lines to dry. For my holiday lunch I opened a can of Bush’s baked beans, heated up with all beef hot dogs, and I made some potato salad.

It was 47 years ago today that a teenage boy took a teenage girl to her home after a church youth group beach party. He gently kissed her on the forehead, as she wasn’t feeling too good from so much sun.  That was the start of the romance that blossomed and grew and that fills my heart today with so many memories.

Yesterday morning I had pulled up the blinds in the living room and looked up from reading my Bible and there was a rainbow.  Wow, how cool is that and what a great way to start the day.  I grabbed my camera and took some photos even though it was lightly sprinkling.  When I edited them to put in this post, I saw a ‘faint’ second rainbow above the first.  Rainbows are symbols of hope and faith, and I am always thankful when I see one.

07-03-morning-rainbow2

07-03-morning-rainbow3

07-03-morning-rainbow

This is a spider web hanging inside the screened room off the back of the cottage.

It looks like a lacy diamond necklace.

07-03-spiderweb

Here is our state butterfly, the zebra longwing.

07-04-zebra-longwing

A longview.  I have 1/4 acre that I take care of and lately it has seemed daunting to say the least.  It didn’t seem so bad when DH was here with me, because we both handled it.  I’m going to have to find someone who will trim the trees from the neighbors that is hanging over the fence into the driveway.  I can only trim up so far.  DH used to take his sawsall and cut them off at fence line, and I would then cut them up smaller to cart out front for pick up.

This is looking north.

07-04-driveway

Looking north west.

07-04-back-sheds

The caravan garden patio area has weeds all grown up in the cracks of the patio stones. I need to get out the weedwacker, but I can’t do it all in one day.

07-04-caravan

This is some sort of thistle that I bought at a yardsale the other day.

Does anyone have any idea what it is?  I thought the lady told me it was a Mexican thistle, but I don’t know for sure.  She had cottage style garden beds in her front yard, roses and anything else that grows well for her.  I also bought a So. African foxglove, and a variegated periwinkle.

07-04-thistle

07-04-thistle2

I love the heart shaped leaves and the blooms of the clock vine.

07-04-clock-vine

07-04-clock-vine2

Aren’t these buds neat?

07-04-clock-vine3

07-04-clock-vine4

07-04-clock-vine5

Here is the hibiscus ‘hugs-n-kisses’.

07-04-hugs-n-kisses2

07-04-hugs-n-kisses3

07-04-hugs-n-kisses

I’ve been working on my creative space, trying to get it more organized as I want to get things I’ve made listed in my little Etsy shop again and I want to do more creating. Losing my best friend knocked the winds out of my sails.  I feel his love and encouragement as I move along with each new day.  I miss him terribly, that isn’t going to go away, but I am getting into my little groove, and looking to and thanking God for taking care of me and for my many blessings and for lessons I am learning.

Each day is a gift.  Love, forgive, encourage, laugh, learn and be thankful.

FlowerLady

***

"There is no season such delight can bring,
As summer, autumn, winter and the spring."
 
William Browne, Variety, 1630

25 comments:

lil red hen said...

Such a tender little story ~ a kiss on the forehead. Wasn't life grand before all the electronic gadgets.

Your flowers lift me up; we're needing rain desperately. And you're teaching me that one can go on alone without being bitter. Hugs!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Happy 4th of July to you. You are so right,those memories will never leave,nor should they.You have a lot of work on that lard of yours.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Dearest Lorraine,
A lovely post, it touched my heart.
A girl who appreciates baked beans - I love them but over here it just must be "Heinz" brand. Nothing else will do!
Rainbows have a very special place in my heart and perhaps one day I'll write of it.
Childhood sweethearts, yours and DH story always touches me deeply. A lot of memories over 47 years....
Your plants are always lovely and as you know I'm no help there!
You say 1/4 an acre - I can remember when the old 1/4 acre was the standard house block here, but gosh how that has changed!
I can but imagine that many times the size of the garden would be daunting,especially the boundary lines. But what a garden it is!
A wonderful end to your post and so true, amid the heartaches and challenges of a new day, each one of them is indeed a 'gift'.
Much love and hugs Lorraine.
Rose
xx

My Grama's Soul said...

Happy 4th Lorraine......ahhh.....a gardner after my own heart. We don't seem to be able to keep up with what we already have planted...yet can't wait TO PLANT MORE! lol lol WHAT TO DO......WHAT TO DO. (O:(O:(O:

xo

Jo

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

What a sweet story of meeting your hubby. You continue to do so much in keeping your space nice. The spider web shot is very cool.
Happy Independence Day. That lunch sounds delish. Getting ready to grill something here too.

Rebecca said...

The weeds have been overwhelming us here, too, Lorraine! It's been so wet that Gary has had a hard time getting into the lawn to mow....Bushes have sprouted 6"-12" almost overnight...and the weeds? Oh, my. What a challenge.

Your blooms are so pretty. I especially lik ethe blue ones.

Shirley said...

Beautiful flowers Lorraine. I've never before heard of a clock vine. Is it a perennial in your area?

Morning's Minion said...

Your camera skills are always impressive, but I think it is your eye--and maybe your heart--so atuned to the beauties of nature-- that make your photo stories so special.

Sallysmom said...

Lorraine, I don't know if you know how inspiring and uplifting your words are. Than.
k you for your post

Val said...

What a sweet start to your relationship. Forehead kisses: Ahhhh, so wonderful. :) ♥♥

Love to you tonight, and I love the rainbows too.

Val

Nancy J said...

Much love and all good wishes for
4th July. 1/4 acre, that is a large area for one person to look after, maybe one little job at one time. Your photos are superb, specially the close-up of the full flower Hibiscus " hugs-n-kisses". You deserve so many of those, so sending heaps from down here to you today, for 47 years of memories of your darling DH. Fondest greetings, from Jean

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lorraine, That rainbow is neat... Maybe that was your Sweetheart up there in heaven telling you that he loved you and wanted you to have a Happy 4th....

God Bless You...I think you have done GREAT... Just keeping one foot in front of the other..

Hugs,
Betsy

Sunray Gardens said...

Lovely blooms. With all the rain we have been getting, the weeds are abundant also. Seems like I always have the weed killer at hand when it's not raining.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Lorraine . . . glad to hear you'll be adding things to your Etsy shop again.

Hugs,

eli

gld said...

All things are easier with a partner.
Mine keeps so busy on the farm, that he isn't able to help me with too much, but that little bit is a blessing.

We are kindred spirits. When I realized it was the forth, I made baked beans (left over ham and beans), hot dogs and chips (too lazy to do potato salad. We also had banana cake (from the freezer).

The thistle is a new one for me. We have so many thistles on the farm that are considered a noxious weed that I can't bring myself to plant them anywhere!

Mary Smith said...

Happy 4th!

As always, your blooms are so beautiful!
We just started a new Florida community and we'd love for you to stop by if you have a moment.

http://southfloridacommunity.blogspot.com/

Georgianna said...

Hi Lorraine,

How special to mark this day with such a very important and touching memory. Your rainbows are indeed a beautiful sign of love and comfort. And your garden flowers are magic in their own way.

I hope your weather is a bit cooler this weekend.

G

Darcie said...

Sweet, tender memory of that day! :)

organicgardendreams said...

Hi Lorraine, I can understand that taking care of 1/4 of an acre alone is a lot of work. Our lot is even a little smaller and my husband is helping me with all the heavy work and even then sometimes it seems to be overwhelming to me. Your garden is looking very good on the photos, so give yourself a pad on the shoulder. You are doing great!
Love your hibiscus ‘hugs-n-kisses’!
Have a lovely Sunday!
Christina

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging words to me.
I love visiting your garden and understand what you share about work. Past middle 70's I have always done everything and now finding it difficult. So guess I lasted longer then many with all the chores.
Take care and always a joy to read your special words...

tina said...

It's so nice to have memories. I think your yard is looking pretty good actually but I know it can seem overwhelming at times. I think your mystery flower might be stokesia, not sure. Have a great week! The rainbow ensures it!

jerilanders said...

Hello Dear lady, I think your story of teenage blossoming love so very romantic. I guess your husband was a gentleman even when he was young. A lovely memory. That looks like a thistle flower, but don't they usually have dreadful prickly stems and leaves? Ours do.

sharon said...

I have hugs and kisses too isnt it amazing!!

Han said...

Hi!!!
Thanks for letting me know about the link. I think I fixed it up now.

Love the photos of the spider web, rainbow and butterfly.

Deb said...

I believe you have a Milk Thistle plant, your photos are stunning, the spiderweb 'necklace' photo is just wonderful, Thank you for sharing.