Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I feel blessed

 

Good morning Friends ~ It’s a new day another gift to enjoy, to learn in. We are having partly cloudy skies, some rain is predicted, but it has been predicted for days and most of those days nothing happened. So, I just started a load of laundry because I really needed to and will hang it up on the lines to dry and hope for the best. It is very warm and humid out, our cool weather disappeared and it almost feels like summer once again.

Autumn came to my little cottage from a dear friend Val.  I have known this young lady for years, we met in a forum either about gardening or about country living,  probably 13 years ago. She inspired me way back then with her love of life and her happy spirit. You can visit her at her blog Pretty Little Rough Patches. I wondered how I could display these and saw the little brads I have nailed into the strip of wood under plates for hanging Christmas decorations on beam between kitchen and scullery. Ah ha, that will work.  I just attached a paper clip to each leaf and hung them that way. Thank you dear Val for thinking of FlowerLady down here in the sub-tropics.  I really appreciate you thoughtfulness, these are little jewels.

11-17-bits-of-autumn

11-17-bits-of-autumn2

Here is my latest little felt heart. Smile

Complete with a funky little butterfly.

11-17-butterfly-heart

11-17-butterfly-heart2

11-17-butterfly-heart3

The next two photos are of the same rose, an unknown I bought earlier this year, cheap.

It smells wonderful.

11-17-unkn

11-17-unkn3

This is another unknown rose, also bought cheap.

11-17-unkn2

Next is a whole passel of photos of the sweet little hybrid musk rose named ‘Kathleen’.

I love this rose and it always brings a smile to my face

and joy to my heart when it’s blooming.

I really need to try to get some cuttings rooted of this rose.

I’ve had it for many, many years now.

11-17-kathleen

11-17-kathleen2

11-17-kathleen3

11-17-kathleen4

11-17-kathleen6

11-17-kathleen5

11-17-kathleen9

11-17-kathleen10

11-17-kathleen11

11-17-kathleen12

11-17-kathleen13

11-17-kathleen14

11-17-kathleen15

***

I’ve been working on emptying out things from the bedroom for this weekend so that my brother-in-law and my nephew can work on plumbing. I am excited about having this done, especially the leaking pipe under the cottage. Whatever else they can accomplish will be icing on the cake.

I look forward to helping them both and fixing barbecued beef brisket in the crockpot for sandwiches. I am so thankful for the time and help these two are giving me.  It blesses my heart so much.  I’ll keep you posted and plan to take photos during the day Saturday.

Sunday was church, early service 9:30, then afterward was brunch with a small group of ladies for a Bible study.  We have such a good time together.  Our next time together will be for our Christmas party on the 22nd.  The hostess goes all out for decorating for Christmas each year and we are all bringing a dish.  I am taking my Pumpkin Mincemeat Pie. We also exchange gifts and I will be creating a heart especially for the lady whose name I chose.

Yesterday morning was the Friends Needing Friends, FNF, widow’s group meeting and luncheon and it was wonderful! It was one of the best I’ve been too.  Everyone was happy and thankful for so much in our lives. You can visit the post I did about it here.

I had two different ladies, one on Sunday and then one yesterday tell me how much better I looked, like healing was taking place and it is. My broken heart is being restored by the Great Restorer of all things. Mark would love that, as he was a restorer of broken things himself. There is something wonderful and oh so satisfying in restoring things. God Almighty loves to restore us with His love, grace and tender mercies. Widows are very special to Him and He cares deeply for us.

I saw a wonderful story online last week that really touched my heart.  A young photographer went around NYC photographing thousands of real people and asked them what piece of advice they would have for a large audience.  One lady he came up to in pouring down rain was a widow in her 80’s, standing under a colorful umbrella. Her piece of advice was this. “I’ll tell you what my dying husband told me when I asked him what will I do without you in my life.  He told her, “Take that love you would have given me and spread it around.”

That still gets to me as I write and read the words again.  I loved my husband deeply, he was my life, and seeing this story was a gift from him and from God for me to carry on and ‘spread the love’.

Thank you all for reading my posts, for your loving, kind, encouraging comments.  Thank you for your own blogs which inspire me to keep living and enjoying life.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

21 comments:

lil red hen said...

I love reading your blog! Your words are inspiring and your handwork is so pretty!

I don't have much luck with roses; they tend to get black spot, or whatever it's called, and drop their leaves, or either deer eat them back to nothing. I have one small one covered with a chicken wire tent so it can recover from deer nibbles. It's a fighter; been nibbled down many times.

Have a wonderful day!

Balisha said...

There was so much in this post that I could comment on, but I'll just say that it filled me with joy to read this morning... as I start my day.
Thanks to you for posting.
I love that Musk rose. My favorite roses are always the single petaled ones.So simple, but so beautiful.
Balisha

RockWhisperer said...

Oh, I did love that saying from the "little old lady". What wonderful advice!

That little musk rose is a real cutie. I don't know why, but I lean more towards the simple things most people would not be attracted to at all.

Hugs from Oklahoma, Sweetie!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You are such an inspiration.I enjoy seeing how you decorate and oh,those roses.Gorgeous!

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Those Roses Lorraine - I could almost smell the perfume from here! This will be so wonderful when all the plumbing is fixed and the worry of it is no more.
And, I think you are doing a wonderful job of spreading your love.
Hugs
Rose

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Love visiting you
Wish I could grow roses
here by the woods.
My mother grew wonderful roses.
So many of yours remind me
of hers and her memory
Take care

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Love the advice the lady in NY shared!
You have a lot of treasures there.
It will be great once all the plumbing is repaired.
Seems the right people keep coming your way when you need them.
{Hug}

organicgardendreams said...

Lorraine, I am glad to read that you are doing better and are able to enjoy life (at least in certain moments), again! I really loved the photos of your hybrid musk rose ‘Kathleen’. It is such a dainty and delicate beauty, it really touched my heart.
Christina

Darcie said...

You really are such an inspirations to us all! We love you for that!!

Our biblestudy this week is in 1 Timothy 5, and I was explaining to our youngest what a widow/widower is. Your journey over this last year, has been a lesson for me, that I need to reach out and remember those in that season of life.

Hugs to you my friend.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a great post, Lorraine. You have BLESSED me today with your attitude and love of life. I love what that woman said to the photographer... Great advice. I'm sure your sweetie is pleased that you are doing so well --and sharing the love to others.

Glad you are getting your plumbing work done --and glad you are enjoying being with friends.

Hugs,
Betsy

Karen said...

Roses in November, I feel you posted those pictures just for me. How I enjoyed soaking up their fragrance. The leaves are adorable strung up in your home.

I'm glad you'll be getting the plumbing issue looked into, I know what a worry that is. The lady who has your name for Christmas will be very lucky to receive one of your beautiful hearts. I'm so glad you found the group and what a blessing they've been for you and you for them.

You are always spreading the love around, Rainey, we are all recipients of your gentle spirit and loving nature.

Sunray Gardens said...

Lovely blooms and your hearts are lovely as usual also.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Jane said...

So glad you are feeling more hopeful these days Rainey! That rose Kathleen is so pretty. It reminds me of apple blossoms.

Anonymous said...

FlowerLady, I have been following your blogs regularly, and love all the gardening and craft work that you do! You are very talented and I love the attitude you have towards life!
Keep writing.
Love and regards all the way from India!
- Anu

Leslie Kimel said...

What a super post. It just made me so happy to read! Your writing is such a helpful guide to me in my life, a great inspiration.

Maga said...

Lovely roses, so healthy.
Do you have a special tip for them? What type of fertilizer you use? Do you spray? I wish more gardens had roses in South Florida, but gardeners just seem to think they won't thrive here.

Julie said...

Well, Flower Lady......you just have a beautiful heart!!!!!! I love the hearts you make, how you spread love to others! You are blessed and you bless others!
Take care!!!!
Julie

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

A lovely touch of autumn indeed. Your stitching is so neat and your garden is still looking beautiful.

Suztats said...

A lovely post FlowerLady. I loved the bit of advice that lady shared! Enjoy your beautiful roses.

sweetbay said...

Kathleen has such a beautiful simplicity about her.

Val said...

I'm so glad you like your leaves! They seem more vibrant hanging in your home than they did when I packaged them. I'm glad. :)

Love to you--and lovely roses--

Val ♥