Monday, January 20, 2014

Laundry hung out and latest project

Good afternoon Friends ~ I did a load of laundry this morning and got it hung out to dry. Yippee!  I just brought it in and it smells so good.  It was very breezy here today, lots of sunshine and a big blue sky.  Although now there are clouds gathering.

01-20-clothesline

Once I had the laundry hung out, I dug up a pot that the plant had grown out of and into the ground.  It is a Lance pod Tree, grown from seed.  I hope it makes the transition.  I planted it just northwest of the caravan for some afternoon shade. It’s also called the Lilac Tree, purple flowers with a lovely scent.  I’ve never seen one of these up close to know how it smells, I’ve just seen photos online.

A week or so ago, I had planted another small tree, to the west of the caravan, also grown from seed.  A Jerusalem Thorn, wispy with yellow flowers.  These two small trees will make a nice color combo once they bloom.  I want a flowering jungle for shade and beauty.

Right after Mark left this planet for his heavenly home, I thought of making a little heart patio just west of the caravan, using pieces of green serpentine marble that is in my ‘stash’ of stuff. This morning I just fell into it after planting the Lilac Tree.

I used Mark’s hand print and Blub’s paw print in the center.  They were done in cement many, many years ago.  Had to be taken up when we built the workshop, that’s why it is broken. ‘Blub’ was our Blue Tick hound.  Now they are together, along with our little ‘Pup’, and three felines, ‘Ditty’, ‘Dort’ and ‘Willie’.

Anyway, back to the heart.  I used the shovel to make the heart outline, then started bringing pieces of marble over that looked like they would work. I then outlined the heart with broken pieces of old kiln bricks we had.  I’m pleased with the way it turned out. Came in, ate lunch and took a nap. I’m already feeling the effects of moving the marble and the birdbath base and basin.  I’ll survive though. I need to buy larger pots for the two Shooting Star clerodendrum shrubs on either side of the birdbath. The Jerusalem Thorn is planted in the center of the heart.

01-20-heart-area3

01-20-heart-area2

I climbed up on a ladder to take this photo.

01-20-heart-area4

This is looking east towards the caravan, the clothesline is behind the caravan.

Workshop is to the right in this photo.

01-20-heart-area

It’s almost 4 p.m. and 74 degrees F. Tomorrow rain is expected, and Wednesday it is to be cold again with only a high of 61 predicted. Yesterday and today were beautiful and I was glad to have been able to work out in both of them.

Well, that’s it for now. Getting outside and moving around is good for mind, body, heart and soul.  I’ve been sitting indoors way too much this past year.  It’s time to work on outside projects before the summer heat and humidity get here. I am thankful for so much, and am learning through the tough times.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

***

"There is a calmness to a life lived in Gratitude, a quiet joy."

Ralph H. Blum

24 comments:

lil red hen said...

The heart is a very nice, interesting addition to your flower gardens. And using the new clothesline ~ must have made your heart glad you were able to put it all together.

We got in a supply of firewood today, expecting cold days ahead this week. Work that makes me tired, but helps my mind relax.

Indeed, we do have so much to be thankful for.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Lorraine - I love that heart you have made! What a wonderful tribute! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

Julie said...

What a really awesome heart!!!!! Sorry to hear about rain tomorrow, but it will be good, none the less!

Ruth Hiebert said...

All that talk about beautiful weather makes me wish for spring so I can get outside and be in the fresh air.I just need to be patient a little longer.

happyone said...

I always hang my wash out on the line. I don't even own a dryer!!
I have a drying room in the basement where I hang my clothes in the winter when it's too cold to put them outside.

The heart patio is lovely.

Karen said...

Rainey, I love the heart, this is another wonderful addition to your garden. The green marble is perfect for the project and how wonderful to be able to use Mark's handprint and faithful canine companion's pawprint in the design. You are always amazing me with your creativity.

I can smell your fresh laundry from here; unfortunately it will be several months before I can hang clothes out again because they simply don't 'freeze dry' at all, lol.

Hugs to you, dear friend.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Love your pretty little love-prints patio! You got really good pictures of it, but be careful doing those aerial photo shoots from the ladder.

You have such an amazing variety of plants in your garden and everything looks so green at your place. We had sunshine here in St. Louis today and temps in the 40's. Tonight a bitter cold wind is blowing and we will have a little snow by morning. Not much green here.

Gary said...

Good morning Lorraine,
I love seeing pictures of your garden, it's so beautiful and peaceful looking. You have some lovely plants in there, and your idea of getting some 'overgrowth' for shade and coolness is a good one. So many people seem afraid to let things grow over their heads for some reason. As for the heart you have made, it's lovely, and time perfectly spent. Have a good week.

Sunray Gardens said...

Very nice job on the heart area.
Cher Sunray Gardens

gld said...

I love the memorial patio!

Your back yard looks much larger than I pictured in my mind. You do have lots to keep you busy.

We are windy here this morning but the high will be 25°`````````````!

Sallysmom said...

I agree with all the others--- that heart is gorgeous! You are so talented.

Joy Junktion said...

Every time I come and visit your blog I just want to come sit in your backyard/garden! It is so inviting and I can only dream of such beautiful green! AZ doesn't allow for much greenery! Also, we can't hang out laundry outdoors as it would just disintegrate in the heat! But I sure would love to. Have a blessed day!

GRACE PETERSON said...

Yes, it seems to be cold everywhere these days. I would gladly take 61 degrees though.

I enjoyseeing the photos of your garden. Your heart is so cool. I love it. Nice job.

Take care my friend.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how I love that heart... SO special!!!!!

Your yard is looking GOOD.

So glad you got your clothesline all fixed.. Congrats.

Two inches of snow here --and SO pretty. BUT--going down to about 5 degrees tonight... Gads.

Hugs,
Betsy

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful
You are so talented
and the smell of
fresh laundry that has
been blowing in the breeze
is heavenly.
Can't wait until Spring :)

Maryann said...

Love, love the heart you made. A lovely tribute to your husband. Visiting you makes me yearn for spring

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

The Heart you have created is most wonderful and a very very lovely tribute to your husband and pet. Your back yard is beautiful. I would love to set in your garden with you. Love the workshop too. Have the most wonderful day. Hugs Judy

Rebecca said...

I'm going to Pinterest that heart! It is such a unique and wonderful creation. (Hope you're careful on ladders, Lorraine!)

I share your desire for "a flowering jungle for shade and beauty". Since we live in different parts of the world (and I have NO knack for the flowering part), I may have to settle for the "jungle...shade and beauty" part.

Snow and a stiff wind to blow it here this afternoon. Frigid temps lately do not allow for any melting, so it just keeps piling up. I'm hopeful it will not hamper our plans to fly to a conference in Charlotte NC tomorrow afternoon. I hear it's quite cold in Charlotte, too!

Rebecca said...

Oops! I guess I WON'T Pinterest that heart :) Will just have to sketch it in my journal. ♥

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Lorraine, I do love a Blue Tick hound, they are wonderful dogs. The heart bed is a loving monument; well done!

Lona said...

I love how it turned out Lorraine. You did such a good job laying it all out. I know what you mean about getting out more. I wish I was close by I would come over and we would work together. :) I am counting down until spring especially more so this nasty winter. Have fun and enjoy your pleasant gardening days out side.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine, I love the green heart you made. I'm sure Mark would appreciate all your hard work.

Your gardens are looking beautiful.

Rest up and have a blessed Sunday.
Warm hugs :)

Nancy J said...

I saw a comment on the forum " Ugly Hedgehog" that I belong to, snow in Pensacola, Jan 24th!!! are you near there? this must be a record for Florida surely, wrap up warmly , Lorraine. Greetings from Jean

Terra said...

Your heart patio is a brilliant creation and addition to your yard.