Tuesday, April 8, 2014

This & That

 

Good morning Friends ~ Thank you all for your comments. They mean a lot, and I do try to get to all of your blogs in return or send emails. I apologize if I have missed you. That’s why I thank you here in public.

It is Tuesday morning, very windy, humid and T-storms are expected later today.  We had a little rain last night, but could use more.

Yesterday morning soon after getting out of bed, I leaned over and felt a twinge below my waist along backbone.  Oh good grief!  I’ve gotten these before, sort of a pinched nerve is what I call it. I went about my day, worked in my wash house, then sat and did needlework indoors. It hurts to bend over, but I’ll survive. It just takes time to work itself back to normal.  I rubbed on some Arni-care gel in the middle of the night and that helped some and at least I could sleep better. Turning over with this aggravation is a real pain.  I’m going to rub in some Tiger Balm later, that stuff is GREAT.  First used it on Mark for his pain and he liked it as it really did soothe him.

Anyway, today is a new day and I am thankful for it. I went out and took photos and here are the ones that made the grade.

This is my Queen Crape Myrtle filling out with new leaves. I’ve had her since 2007, an anniversary gift from Mark.  She was only about 4’ tall, she’s probably 10’ tall now.  She’s great shade for the patio and I love her huge purple blooms. I look forward to her blooms every late summer/early fall.  That is a stag horn fern hanging off her in a wire hanging basket.

04-08-queen-crape

These are two rooted cuttings I got going last year of the red passion flower vine.  I can hardly wait to see the blooms.

04-08-red-passion-flower2

04-08-red-passion-flower

Here are gorgeous ‘unknown name’ orchids. These two are by the caravan.

04-08-orchid

04-08-orchid2

These are my wonderful Vanda orchids. They grow all over, like the reed orchids.  I just break them off with some roots attached and put them here and there.

04-08-orchids3

This is Plumbago.  I love blues and purples in the gardens.

04-08-plumbago

Spiderworts, which grow like a weed, but I don’t care, the more the merrier.

04-08-spiderwort

Copperleaf shrub in the background with reed orchids.

04-08-reed-orchids-copperleaf

This is a yellow flowering Dwarf Poinciana with seed pods.

04-08-yel-poin

This is a wonderfully scented unknown named rose. It was heavy with rain from last night and hanging down so I held it up to smell and for you to enjoy it’s beauty.

04-08-unkn

These blooms are ‘Granada’.  Isn’t the coloring wonderful!!!  Granada was one of our favorite cities in Spain.

04-08-granada

Here is one of the many bees who visit the sweetly scented Callisia fragrans, or Basket Flower.

04-08-bee-callisia-fragrans

My project yesterday was to cover the aluminum walls by the washing machine and behind the painting in the wash house. I used a polyester bed sheet, (not good for sleeping under, I prefer cotton, much cooler).

Here’s the before

04-02-wash-house

after ~ I used a damaged piece of pegboard that we had, cut it down and rigged it in place, as I couldn’t quite reach over there to do it right. Smile

04-08-wash-house

I’m planning to put some 2-3 inch thick styrofoam up between the rafters in the ceiling to help it be cooler in there.

Bookmarks for our widow’s group, what I worked on yesterday afternoon. I’ve got 12 more started and want to make around 30-35 all together.

04-08-fnf-bookmarksjpg

Yesterday morning I ordered some alcohol ink marker pens for coloring silk ribbon for embroidery.  That way, I only have to buy white silk ribbon and color them myself. Was inspired by some you-tube videos by Crafty Attic. This lady is very good with her tutorials.

Well, that’s it for now.

Hope you all have a great week ~ FlowerLady

 

26 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Such beautiful blooms. I hope your back will be good soon. Hugs judy

Terra said...

What sweet book marks. I like your Crape Myrtle and the subtle colors of your roses. I hope your back heals quickly. I have a bit of that type of twinge and yesterday was in a warm water pool and then 5 minutes in a jacuzzi, that is very helpful for me.

Jane Westwell said...

I'm really impressed that you managed to take all those lovely and varied photos with a complaining back! And what beautiful bookmarks... the stitching is so professional :o)

lil red hen said...

The orchids are always appealing to me since we don't have them here. I do have spider wort; fought it for years, gave up, and now it's a regular bloomer for me.

Back troubles ~ hate them! Hope the pain goes away soon.

Deb J. in Utah said...

We could sure use more rain too! I love what you did behind the painting in the wash house. Did you do that painting? Hope your pinch nerve is better soon. I wonder if the Tiger Balm would help my knees? May get some and try it! Have a good day.

Nancy J said...

Super book marks, and the board and sheet behind your nude, very "art Gallery" style, I do like it, And, as always, your blooms are beautiful, maybe the stunning Vanda would be my pick for the day. We have had rain, glorious rain, after one night the grass is greening up. Hugs, Jean,

Unknown said...

Lorraine,
Sorry to hear about your back, I pray it will heal quickly. Your orchids are doing fantastic! Your roses are also quite beautiful and I know the ladies will be thrilled to receive those lovely book marks.
Blessings to you,
Teresa
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. Sure wish I had some "miracle" meds to eliminate pain EVERYwhere!

Waiting for flowers to bloom here - and warm enough weather to at least sit outside and enjoy them - even if digging & doing is out of the question for a few more weeks for me.

I sure do enjoy seeing YOURS and the lovely handiwork you work on when not outside!

Sunray Gardens said...

I feel for you with the back aches and pains. Don't overdo when like that. Your blooms are lovely.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Priscilla @ Homegrown Delight said...

Wow all your flowers are lovely! The rose and orchids are beautiful. I always kill orchid! Sorry about your backbone and the pain. I've been having issues with unknown palpitations which I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow since the E.R. didn't find anything. Gardening is such comforting therapy. Wish I had many flowers growing. When you have a chance, check out my updated blog. I changed the name to homegrowndelight.blogspot.com
Have a great week! :)

Maryann said...

Your flowers are so beautiful, thanks for giving us something lovely to look at. Hope you are having a wonderful week

Ruth Hiebert said...

Looks like every plant you touch just grows with wild abandon.Beautiful flowers and plants.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

I have those same twinges and it is a pinched nerve, aka sciatica. If it gets bad a chiropractor can usually put it right. I also find that ice or cold packs help as it knocks down the inflammation.

Your garden is looking lovely, I had several of the same plants when i lived near Houston.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Nice little book marks and absolutely gorgeous flower pics. I saw an ad in a local paper for Crape Myrtle so I'm going to check it out. We are relandscaping the pond area and I think it would be a fabulous addition if it is compatible in my growing zone.

I have that same twinge, but it is caused by my sciatic nerve. I need to take two Ibuprofen each morning before I can move freely. I suspect I will have more issues now that the weather is breaking and I can get back to gardening. I'm pretty sure I'll be using muscles that are not necessarily used while stitching in my recliner ~lol~
Have a great day.

tina said...

A red passion flower vine sounds very interesting. Those bookmarks are so sweet!

It's Just Dottie said...

I pray your pain is gone!!! Your plants are so beautiful and seeing them always makes me happy. I think the painting in your washroom is lovely. Smiles, Dottie

gld said...

Hope your back is better by now. Funny how those little weird things hit us now and then.

Love the new look in the wash room.

The book marks will be a welcome present for the group; so much nicer than the paper ones.

Happy to hear you are getting good rains.

sharon said...

your orchids are great.....I have never seen a copper leaf bloom!! thanks

Dorothy said...

Those orchids are gorgeous, but my eye's always drawn to the blues... and today's winner is the plumbago. One of my all time favourites.

Hope you're felling better today.
Blessings
Dotti :)

Unknown said...

Good Morning Rainey,
Sorry about your back problem, I have them all the time, pulled weeds 2 days ago and almost couldn't stand back up. Hope you're well soon.
Your flowers are beautiful as always. My tomatoes are doing great, have some about the size of the end of my little finger. So exciting to see them grow.
Well, hopefully you will be a great aunt again by Sunday, keep Jessica in your prayers that it will be soon and easy for her.
Love you much!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hello on a gorgeous, spring day in TENNESSEE. Wow---after the long and bitter winter we had this year, Spring is even more inviting and lovely.

Love those little bookmarks.. How precious --and what a nice gift for your widow's group.... You are such a talented lady. Love all of your flowers also --especially the orchids...

We are now home 'again' --after our 5th trip since the end of February.... Seems as if we visited five different states --although the trips weren't planned for that reason... ha... BUT--as I always say, it's great to be home... Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Betsy

jean said...

You've got some beautiful plants and flowers, Lorraine. I used to love a crape myrtle when we lived in Florida and loved the blooms. Of course, we left it behind when we moved and I wonder if the people who bought the house kept it. Hope you get lots of blooms on your passion vine. Your Granada roses are gorgeous! Love your washroom. It's cozy looking. I do hope your back feels better very soon.

Rebecca said...

I came back hoping for a new post ... now I'm wondering if your back is still troubling you.

Hmmmmm.

M.K. said...

Those bookmarks are darling! You are so talented to whip them up for your friends. I'm impressed with your variety of orchids -- in other places, I've gotten the impression that they are finicky and hard to grow -- delicate. But yours seem to flourish easily, and you can pinch and pot! Amazing. Plants must see you coming and say, "Ah! Here comes the Flower Lady! We will comply for her!" :)

Shirley said...

I am loving your Vanda Orchids and they propagate so easily! Your garden is blooming beautifully!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Thought I would pop in a minute to see what you have been up too. WOW in the laundry room! you are so productive and where do you get all your energy? I adore the bookmarks, you are so fast and must stitch in your sleep...
as always your garden is amazing and is music to the eyes, your orchids seem to love your garden as they are so beautiful.