Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Whisper ~ a book review

Good morning Folks ~ I am a tad late with getting this review out. Hurricane Irma and taking care of this place has kept me occupied. Then this past weekend we had tropical storm Philippe come on us all of a sudden dumping lots and lots of heavy rain, even some tornadoes. I am thankful Plum Cottage has done some more surviving, thankful to God for His tender care.

Before hurricane Irma, I had ordered a book from Blogging For Books to do a review for and it came afterwards and there were some great helpful and encouraging tidbits in this book.

The book is ‘Whisper – How to Hear the Voice of God’ by Mark Batterson.

There are many ways in which God speaks to us, we just need open our hearts to listen.

God wants to speak to each of us, you and me. Do we want to hear Him?

If we do, all we have to do is ask.

Some thoughts from this book are below:

“The goal of hearing the heavenly Father’s voice isn’t just hearing His voice; it’s intimacy with Him. He wants to be as close to us as is divinely possible.”

“Nothing has the potential to change your life like the whisper of God.”

“His whisper quiets us, calms us, stills us.”

“The voice of God is all-powerful ~ it is also all-loving.”

“Jesus is in the business of opening impossible doors and leading us to impossible places. It’s one of the ways He whispers.”

“God can use anything to accomplish His purposes, and He can do it anywhere, anytime and anyhow.”

------------------------------------

In this book Mark lists seven love languages in which God whispers to us. They are Scripture, Desires, Doors, Dreams, People, Promptings, Pain.

This was a good, encouraging read and I have LOTS underlined to go back and re-read and be encouraged and uplifted by.

I am thankful for the many ways

in which I have experienced God’s whispers in my own life.

May we all be open to hearing God’s whispers each and every day.

FlowerLady

10 comments:

Deborah Montgomery said...

Sounds like a really good book. I liked the 7 love languages idea. God speaks to us in many ways; we just need ears to hear. xo Deborah

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sounds like a really good and helpful book. I don't think many of us EVER stop, listen and HEAR God... We are SO busy --and just go from one thing to the next without stopping and listening for God's Whisper....

Great reminder for me for sure.

Thanks.
Hugs,
Betsy

Nancy J said...

Whispers come in many ways, and I know so many of us out here send you silent whispers full of love, caring thoughts and wishes .A wonderful book to have, and after Irma and all else, one to turn to and to strengthen your faith .

tina said...

I'm so glad you and Plum Cottage are surviving all the storms! What a nice book!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Thank you for the review - I am always looking for inspiring books. Slowing down enough to hear God's whispers is the challenge, but I have heard them, mostly in my dreams. Sending you hugs and blessings for your weekend. xx Karen

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Sorry to hear that you had to deal with another tropical storm, what a season for you! This book sounds quite interesting. I have found the best way I hear from the Lord is through his word. It really is alive, and speaks as clearly today as the day it was written. Praying for you that the cleanup work gets done and that all is well in your sweet Plum Cottage :)

jerilanders said...

Here to catch up on you since the Hurricane and was so relieved to know you and Plum Cottage were OKAY.Don't think I would ever want to live near the ocean... it's bad enough when a tornado heads in our direction; it is said that East Tennessee is where Hurricanes come to die and we often experience that foul death.
The book sounds very encouraging, as for myself, I've found the best way to hear God, is through prayer, simply talking with God all through the day. He speaks to us through nature, song and many unexpected avenues.

L. D. said...

I will have to check this book out as it sounds good. Sometimes we need others to talk to us about life and God and it helps to realign our thoughts and feelings. I am glad you have survived all of those storms. Gods winks and wishes did take good care of you as the whole sets of events transpired. God really is much closer than we sometimes want to think.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

It sounds like a book worth reading....we don't Listen to God enough and he's always right there for us!

outlawgardener said...

Sounds like a wonderful book!