Friday, December 1, 2017

From ‘Much-Afraid’ to …

Hinds' Feet on High Places

Good morning Friends on this first day of December. This morning I have a book review for you. I’m a bit late on getting this up and I apologize to the publishers for that.

Last year I received a copy of the little book "Mountain of Spices" by Hannah Hurnard, when a friend was clearing out some books and told me to take what I wanted. The book really touched my heart.

This year I saw that Tyndale Publishers had the book "Hinds' Feet on High Places" by the same author to review and I sent for it.

I was not disappointed. I was blessed. I was encouraged. I read it through twice and will most definitely read it again.

This edition also has lovely artwork on front and back covers as well as throughout the book.

The book is an allegory. "a story, play, poem, picture, or other work in which the characters and events represent particular moral, religious, or political qualities or ideas" ~ meaning taken from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary.

The scripture that this book directs us to is this one found in Habakkuk 3:19

"The LORD GOD is my strength, and He will make my feet like hind's (deer's) feet, and He will make me to walk upon mine high places."

~~~~~~

This book is story about a young woman whose name is 'Much-Afriad', who I can totally relate to being, as I’ve been that way my whole life and most especially since my husband went to be with God 5 years ago this month.

Much-Afraid came from the 'Family of Fearings', so did I. Through her life in this book she learns to call on and trust in 'The Shepherd'. I am learning to do this daily.

This book hit me right between the eyes, it spoke to my heart.

In the book you read of how tender and compassionate 'The Shepherd' is. I'm not going to tell any parts of the story, it is something one must read for themselves.

Below are some gems from this book.

"Then," said the Shepherd, speaking very gently again," I am going to lead you through the danger and tribulation, Much-Afraid, but you need not be the least bit afraid, for I shall be with you.  Even if I lead you through the valley of the Shadow itself you need not fear, for my rod and my staff will comfort you."

"For I will cover thee with my feathers and under my wings shalt thou trust." (Ps.91)

"I have loved thee with an everlasting love: with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." Jeremiah 31:3

"Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Psalm 30:5

******

I highly recommend this book to everyone seeking a closer relationship to God. To those who need encouragement in this life. To those who are 'much afraid'.

What I’ve taken away from this book and tucked into my heart, is the desire to be changed from ‘Much-Afraid’, to the Shepherd’s little handmaiden ‘Acceptance-with-Joy’ and ‘Bearing-with-Love ’.

God's blessings on all of you.

FlowerLady

13 comments:

Terra said...

I like your take away from this book, to change from Much Afraid to Acceptance with Joy. I might buy a copy of this. This widow's journey is a rough road.

Nancy J said...

The cover all by itself is so beautiful, and invites you in straight away. I am so happy you found this, and all readers would gain from those words. Take care, maybe cooler days will come soon.

Rebecca said...

Oh, I read this book years ago and loved it then...I'm certain I'll love it again. (And I know I have a copy - just not one as beautifully illustrated as yours.) Thank you for sharing your delight in it. I hope to read it before the first of the year ♥

Betty said...

I love reading books and I will put this on my list. Thank you.

Anne Payne said...

Beautiful review, Rainey. I am going to see if it is still available. The enemy would like nothing better than to ensnare us into a permanent state of fear. Praise God it doesn't have to be that way! :-)

Junkchiccottage said...

Sounds like a beautiful read. I am so happy this gives you hope, blessings and comfort. Keep reading this again and again.
Hugs,
Kris

Terry said...

Oh my goodness, Lorraine! That sounds like a beautiful book! I am heading over to amazon right now. Thank you!

Terry

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Wonderful review Rainey! Hinds Feet on High Places has been a book I've loved ever since I was a teenager. What a beautiful edition this book is! It really is a treasure to own, and will become even more beautiful as you color in it. Happy hugs to you today :)

Rue said...

Looks like a beautiful book, my friend. I'm glad it gives you comfort during this time of the year.

love to you,
rue

GretchenJoanna said...

It's lovely the way God "makes" you read a book at the right time. I remember the Hinds' Feet was popular among my friends for years, and I just did not feel like reading it. When I finally did want to, it was such a blessing, just what I needed, and I could see how earlier it would not have been right.

God bless you, Dear Flower Lady. You are in my prayers!!

Karen said...

What a wonderful story, Rainey. I often find myself 'Much Afraid', this is definitely a book I should read. :-)

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Lorraine...glad you stopped by. I like the book reviews and oh my goodness, on the previous post.....those beautiful purple flowers cascading down like that are so gorgeous! I love seeing all your pretty flowers!--whats blooming now? Have you decorated much for Christmas?

M.K. said...

I've heard of that book all my life, but I have never read it. Thanks for the recommendation. I also struggle with fear and anxiety. Sounds like a helpful story.